PLIEN AIR IN WATERTON LAKES NATIONAL PARK

Blakiston Creek Waterton Lakes National Park - Plein Air - 11x14 Oil on Board (Sold)
 
I spent a very windy morning painting this scene. I had one visitor with her baby and a long row of outriders on their horses who passed by in silence - except for hooves knocking against the loose rocks.
The next morning I stationed myself next the creek at the entrance of the Crandell Mountain Camp Ground. That day I had a lot of visitors including 2 wildlife photographers who took a bunch of pictures of me, lights and all. 
  On the first day of his 3 week vacation, a man named Kelly came to chat. While I was painting the scene that was before me, he liked the Blakiston painting and summarily bought it even though it was not quite done. We agreed that I'd finish it off and send it when he got home. Well, he's home and the painting is done. It's is already packaged up and will be mailed to Edmonton tomorrow morning.

I think this was the fourth time we've been to Waterton Lakes NP with the same friends. We've always been told about the wind but never experienced it. Well, this time we had wind! And thunder and lightening and rain. I tried to pitch the gazebo to no avail. In fact, it almost blew away and suffered some permanent damage. Thankfully it lasted only a day and a night. The rest of the time was splendid. I did a paining a day for the next 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment